Friday, October 23, 2009

How I Rediscovered My Sensitivity-Part One

I've gone through most of my life somehow knowing that I was a little different from the majority of people. I've felt things on a level that not a lot of others seemed to get. I could never stop thinking, even about my own thoughts. Everything meant something, it had to. I could feel people's energy and sense what they were really saying behind the words.

It's ironic that in the pursuit of striving in the opposite direction of what I truly wanted that I stumbled back into my true self. After taking a year off from my undergrad studies, I decided to change my major to Business because I thought this would be more practical than pursuing my passions of English and Theatre. I chose marketing as my concentration because it seemed to have the most possibilities and I was somehow drawn to it. However, I soon realized that I was in a world that I didn't understand. I didn't think like the professors who taught the classes I was in and I didn't know how to answer their questions. I recall being in my first accounting class and having the professor ask the class for examples of things of value. What he meant was monetary value, things that accountants classify into debits and credits and the like. My mind automatically thought of relationships, flowers, people, poetry, etc. This is probably why I barely scraped by with a "C." Thinking quantitatively has never been my strong suit, as my high school and undergrad transcripts can lovingly attest to.

As I got closer and closer to the end of my program, I knew in my gut that something was wrong. Sure, I enjoyed some of my more "qualitative" classes; the management and marketing electives that let you deal with concepts and people oriented subject matter. But I didn't want to do it, I couldn't see myself in a boring "business" career. I knew I wanted something more alive, something with more passion, something more meaningful. So, with three classes to complete before earning my degree, I decided to take a break. That "break" was participating in Walt Disney Word's College Program. It's an experience that I will never forget and will always be grateful for. It's one of the pivotal experiences in my life that changed me, but it was just the beginning.

Copyright 2009 by H.E.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment